Author Topic: GenCon 2018  (Read 476 times)

Argus

• Pathfinder
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Ooodles of Noodles!!! They Yummy.
    • View Profile
GenCon 2018
« on: November 19, 2017, 05:30:25 pm »
Update:

A Call to Vol II—Gen Con 2018!
Wednesday, January 17, 2017

Please check out link below as well as for my reply to forum for more GREAT information.

http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lkem?A-Call-to-Vol-IIGen-Con-2018

Gen Con 2018 Badges On-Sale Sunday

It's time! Gen Con 2018 badges will be available for purchase starting this weekend!

For those who want to purchase their badge on opening day, the badge registration link at the Gen Con website will open at noon (Eastern time) on Sunday, January 14. Please keep in mind that badges sold out last year, so you may want to consider acquiring your badge sooner rather than later.

Dates:
Aug 2 - 5

Indianapolis, Indiana

Yes I know this is early.  But you will see how fast time flies when you are looking forward to GenCon.  I as well as some others are looking to seeing about flying this year to GenCon, and just doing a Car Pool to Orlando.  Now with that said this does not mean there can not be a car pool back to GenCon this year.  That is why I am doing this thread early.  If you are planning to head to GenCon 2018 then this is the time to start your planing early.  I will be updating this forum once I myself get updates for the Gaming Event of the year.  So do not wait, and start your planning now if you are planing to go to GenCon 2018!!!!
     We have a total of 8 people last year from the Jacksonville area attend GenCon 50 last year.  My goals is to see around double  that this year.  So if you are wanting to go to a Con then this is a Con that you should be planning for next year.  I myself will help out as much as possible to answere any questions that you may have for this wonderful evetn.  Plus I am sure our wonderful Captain will be more then happy to answer any questions  you may have about GenCon.  So do not delay and start planning now for the Greatest weekend of gaming of the year.

Flying

1. James
2. J.A.
3. Eden
4. Billy
5. Brett
6. Mike E.
7. Anna
8. Max
9. Maria

Car Pool

« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 09:50:05 am by Argus »
Argus-Human-Lv 13 Kensai
Sitra-Elf-Lv 7 Evoker
Bonk Atonk-Dwarf-Lv 5 Barbarian (Core)
Va'Gule-Dwarf-Lv 6 Armored Archmage
Shrek-1/2 Orc-Lv 6 Monk
Jen Masho-Sylph-Lv 10 Kensai
Eren Yeager-Nagaji-Lv 5 Rageshaper
Ruuji Familon-Wayang-Lv 5 Summoner
Korthone- ??? -Lv 2 Barbarian

J.A.

• Venture-Officer
  • Pathfinder
    Attack Member
  • "Roll High, Hit Low"
    • View Profile
Re: GenCon 2018
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 11:49:36 pm »
Hahahaha!! Eden was just poking at people to see who was thinking about going again as plane tickets will be available soon if not already :D  Eden and myself are going to be attending without a doubt :D Including you and two others I count 5 so far.

I would be happy to answer any questions about Gen Con: Events; Volunteering-whether you are thinking about Paizo, True Dungeon, vendor or Gen Con itself; running an event outside of the normal venue or perhaps wanting to host an event yourself? Its easier than you think, but there are deadlines :D  Ask below or send me an email/message.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 11:51:08 pm by J.A. »
"How do I know she's Evil? Simple. She's wearing Black Leather, holding a Whip and interested in me. She's Evil."

Corax'thyn (elf) Lvl 13 Rogue "Fears no Dragon"
For-Loc Gutbuster of Hammerhall (Dwarf) Lvl 2/8 F/Cleric
Mince (Goblin) Lvl 10 Ranger
Khelish the Cold lvl-10 Wiz Evoker

J.A.

• Venture-Officer
  • Pathfinder
    Attack Member
  • "Roll High, Hit Low"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 12:29:21 am »
My First Gen Con:

What should I do?......... Depends on your interest. Gen Con is a gaming convention and the largest one at that. While Media guests do attend that is generally not the main draw like Comic Con and Mega Con (Local large Florida Convention)

Its Gaming: RPGs like D&D and Pathfinder rule the hallways. CCGs, and more board games than you could play in 2 lifetimes. War gaming and Cos-players every where. Its really what are you looking forward to playing at Gen Con? Try and build your schedule around that. I promise you that will be the most rewarding experience.

Also I cannot stress this enough try a new game in the vender area. Gen Con is the spot to try up coming and new games: Table top, Board games, card games, European Style and Indie Games galore. Some will be prototypes for future Kickstarters, gofund mes and other start up companies. In fact that is why they have the Wednesday a business only day for the companies attending to mingle. Gen Con does a spot light for new companies and new products.

Last year for the first time Gen Con SOLD OUT. 60000+ attended. I would not take long in deciding.
If you are wanting to Volunteer for Pathfinder Society, Starfinder Society or ACG consider taking a more active role in GMing locally. They are going to take your Stars/Novas into consideration and your participation in your local lodge. Does this mean you have to be a 5 star GM, absolutely not. Any body can volunteer. Their is a HUGE difference in playing a local event and running a special with 150+ tables. I was proud to have so many local lodge members attend last year. Everybody had a good time. At least that was the feedback I received :D 

Their is truly soooo much to do and participate in. Just ask down below and I will try and point you in the right direction.

- J.A.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 03:29:43 am by J.A. »
"How do I know she's Evil? Simple. She's wearing Black Leather, holding a Whip and interested in me. She's Evil."

Corax'thyn (elf) Lvl 13 Rogue "Fears no Dragon"
For-Loc Gutbuster of Hammerhall (Dwarf) Lvl 2/8 F/Cleric
Mince (Goblin) Lvl 10 Ranger
Khelish the Cold lvl-10 Wiz Evoker

Argus

• Pathfinder
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 12:19:12 am »
Wow it's already January 2018.  Wow time has flown by like the 20 on my dice.  But fun and exiting stuff is going on in 2018 that I can not wait to experience. One of those things is GenCon that happens in Indiana.  We had a GREAT turn out from the Jacksonville area in 2017, and I am sure everybody had a BLAST!  Now I am hoping to get even more people up to one of the greatest gaming events of the year. Now as you have noticed a little change has been made for the travels up to GenCon this year that is different from last year.  I am looking to do two types of caravans this year. One caravan will be heading to Orlando to the airport that will fly to GenCon.  Then the next for the ones that want to experiance all the fun of a road trip to GenCon.  So please don't hesitate on your planning.  This is the time to start your planning.
     I will be updating this page for the people that wish to volunteer like me to this event.  If you volunteer you get great perks like hotel, boons, and the experience of a lifetime. So keep watching as Details come out.  Once again I look forward to see the great things that happens in 2018.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 12:23:17 am by Argus »
Argus-Human-Lv 13 Kensai
Sitra-Elf-Lv 7 Evoker
Shrek-1/2 Orc-Lv 6 Monk

Argus

• Pathfinder
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 04:10:04 pm »
Gen Con 2018 Badges On-Sale Sunday

It's time! Gen Con 2018 badges will be available for purchase starting this weekend!

For those who want to purchase their badge on opening day, the badge registration link at the Gen Con website will open at noon (Eastern time) on Sunday, January 14. Please keep in mind that badges sold out last year, so you may want to consider acquiring your badge sooner rather than later.
Argus-Human-Lv 13 Kensai
Sitra-Elf-Lv 7 Evoker
Shrek-1/2 Orc-Lv 6 Monk

Argus

• Pathfinder
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 06:18:26 am »
A Call to Vol II—Gen Con 2018!
Wednesday, January 17, 2017

I just finished attending MarsCon in Williamsburg, Virginia, and am making my way back to Seattle. An unexpected snowstorm kept me in Atlanta a bit longer than I planned, but piloting skill and no ice meant the plane flew today and I made it safely to Seattle this afternoon.

This weekend, badges for Gen Con went on sale. We sent the message out that our volunteer call would go live on Wednesday. So here it is! As the program continues to grow and evolve, we make changes from year to year to streamline processes and help the convention run smoothly. With over 300 volunteers and around 1700 tables of organized play games running, Gen Con is easily our largest event. This means even more attention on processes and efficiency. The changes below are the same adjustments we made to PaizoCon and are aimed at bringing all the large conventions into the same logistical umbrella.

First, we changed the nomenclature from session or slot to block. Each block is 5 hours. This unifies the terminology from the event support form used by our event organizers and keeps things consistent across the board.

Second, we ditched using the Tier system to describe how many volunteers. It is a RPGA holdover that caused confusion, as the lower number the tier, the more slots a person volunteered. Also, we have tiers for our scenarios, so having tiers for volunteers caused some confusion in our data. This year, you register for the number of 5-hour blocks you wish to volunteer.

Third, we are setting an 9-block maximum for volunteering, with the goal that no volunteer will do more than 8 blocks and that no one will be scheduled for more than 3 in a row. A full day is hard (been there, done that) and we want people to take breaks to sleep, eat, bathe, and see what the convention has to offer. This is really, really important, no matter how much of a GM/HQ machine you want to be!

Fourth, it is my understanding that the hotel lottery and badge refunds changed this year. I submitted our badge request and should be able to drop them into volunteer accounts as soon as we send out the acceptance letter and have an acknowledging email in reply. This should allow volunteers signing up for less than 8-blocks to submit their names for the hotel lottery, which occurs in February.

Fifth, we are looking at ways to streamline our processes and reduce the number of HQ personnel. In the interest of efficiency, we also are looking for volunteers willing to commit to 7 and 8 blocks. Anyone may volunteer for a HQ position, but I want to be forthright about the limitations of the position from the beginning.

Finally, we are looking to schedule tables bottom up, instead of top down. By starting off with a few tables of each scenario, then increasing based on ticket sales; we should be better poised to respond to player demand. Hopefully, this means that we will have fewer tables fail to make and fewer GMs released. Volunteers will have their block schedules before event registration opens, but may not have scenario list until late June/early July. We are still committed to getting scenarios into GMs hands at least 2 weeks before Gen Con starts. While this split schedule means more emails and paperwork, it should mean fewer changes at the last minute. Hopefully, a more streamlined system all around and more efficient use of our GM pool.

Block times:

Block   RPG/ACG GMs   HQ
Thursday Morning   7:30 AM to 1:00 PM   7:00 AM to 1:00 PM
Thursday Afternoon   1:30 PM to 7:00 PM   1:00 PM to 7:00 PM
Thursday Evening   7:30 PM to 1:00 AM   7:00 PM to 1:00 AM
Friday Overnight   1:00 AM to 7:00 AM   1:00 AM to 7:00 AM
Friday Morning   7:30 AM to 1:00 PM   7:00 AM to 1:00 PM
Friday Afternoon   1:30 PM to 7:00 PM   1:00 PM to 7:00 PM
Friday Evening   7:30 PM to 1:00 AM   7:00 PM to 1:00 AM
Saturday Overnight   1:30 AM to 7:00 AM   1:00 AM to 7:00 AM
Saturday Morning   7:30 AM to 1:00 PM   7:00 AM to 1:00 PM
Saturday Afternoon   1:30 PM to 7:00 PM   1:00 PM to 7:00 PM
Saturday Evening   7:30 PM to 1:00 AM   7:00 PM to 1:00 AM
Sunday Overnight   1:30 AM to 7:00 AM   1:00 AM to 7:00 AM
Sunday Morning   8:30 AM to 2:00 PM   8:00 AM to 2:00 PM
We base benefits on how many blocks a volunteer commits to working. The chart below illustrates the breakdown:

Block Commitment   Hotel   Print Product   Badge   T-Shirts   Boon/Reward   Store Credit
8 Blocks   ✔   ✔   ✔   ✔   Choice of 3   ✔
7 Blocks   —   ✔   ✔   ✔   Choice of 3   ✔
6 Blocks   —   ✔   ✔   ✔   Choice of 2   ✔
5 Blocks   —   —   ✔   ✔   Choice of 1   ✔
4 Blocks   —   —   —   ✔   Choice of 1   ✔
3 Blocks   —   —   —   —   Choice of 1   ✔
2 Blocks   —   —   —   —   —   ✔
1 Block   —   —   —   —   —   ✔
The details of each benefit are as follows:

Room—One-quarter of a double room. Volunteers may indicate their roommates preferences when completing the questionnaire.
Badge—A free 4-Day Gen Con 2018 badge
Print Product—A FREE copy of one Paizo print product. Offerings are TBD, but will include at least one Starfinder and one Pathfinder title.
T-Shirts—Limited release t-shirts (purple for GMs and orange for support staff) given every other year.
Store Credit—Paizo.com store credit at $10 per slot
Boon/Reward—A Gen Con exclusive boon/reward for Starfinder (RPG), Pathfinder (RPG), or Pathfinder (ACG).
Those interested in volunteering, please complete the Gen Con 2018 volunteer questionnaire. The leads and I will consider everyone who completes the form, but reserve the right to select volunteers who have worked at Gen Con in prior years. When you complete the form, please read all the question descriptions, as they give details for what information we need to place volunteers where they are best suited.

If you have questions, please put them in the comments section of the questionnaire or email them to GenConLeads@gmail.com. Also, if you are willing to help with cleanup Sunday afternoon after the GM meeting (usually 4:00 PM to 8:00 PM), please indicate your availability in the comments section of the questionnaire. Volunteers assisting with cleanup will receive pizza for dinner, one additional block of store credit, and potentially other goodies.

Huge thanks to everyone who gives of their time and resources to help make us the largest organized play program in the world. We couldn’t do it without you!!! You are simply the best volunteer team out there and it is my greatest pleasure to work with all of you!

Until our next blog—Explore, Report, Cooperate!

Tonya Woldridge

Organized Play Manager
Argus-Human-Lv 13 Kensai
Sitra-Elf-Lv 7 Evoker
Shrek-1/2 Orc-Lv 6 Monk

Argus

• Pathfinder
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 07:06:29 am »
Ya The list is growing.

UPDATED
Argus-Human-Lv 13 Kensai
Sitra-Elf-Lv 7 Evoker
Shrek-1/2 Orc-Lv 6 Monk

Baronjett

• Pathfinder
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 07:48:29 am »
I’m in, going for da full enchilada! 8 slots.  Will fly

Argus

• Pathfinder
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 10:14:36 am »
SWEETNESS!!!!!!
Argus-Human-Lv 13 Kensai
Sitra-Elf-Lv 7 Evoker
Shrek-1/2 Orc-Lv 6 Monk

Snowcat

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 02:05:21 pm »
I'm going. Not sure about volunteer status yet, but I'll be flying.
[Anna G.]
Alistair Mayes (Archaeologist Bard 7) "It belongs in a museum!"
Mozzi Brighthood (Ratfolk Psychic 3)
Mimir Arkwright (Technomancer 1)
Peregrine Beta (Operative 5) "Call me your personal flirtation device."
Mimzy Brighthood (Mystic 1)

Argus

• Pathfinder
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 08:46:46 pm »
Sweetness Snowcat...  I am sure you will have just as much fun this year as you did last year.
Argus-Human-Lv 13 Kensai
Sitra-Elf-Lv 7 Evoker
Shrek-1/2 Orc-Lv 6 Monk

Snowcat

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 05:42:18 am »
Here's hoping that I don't lose my phone. Or my health.
[Anna G.]
Alistair Mayes (Archaeologist Bard 7) "It belongs in a museum!"
Mozzi Brighthood (Ratfolk Psychic 3)
Mimir Arkwright (Technomancer 1)
Peregrine Beta (Operative 5) "Call me your personal flirtation device."
Mimzy Brighthood (Mystic 1)

Argus

• Pathfinder
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 07:16:30 am »
Here's hoping that I don't lose my phone. Or my health.

LoL...  Yes that would be GREAT!!!!
Argus-Human-Lv 13 Kensai
Sitra-Elf-Lv 7 Evoker
Shrek-1/2 Orc-Lv 6 Monk

Argus

• Pathfinder
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 07:18:44 am »
Wow we are doing great.  At this point in time we have 7 people flying to GenCon this year from the area.  I am so ready to have another GREAT time.
Argus-Human-Lv 13 Kensai
Sitra-Elf-Lv 7 Evoker
Shrek-1/2 Orc-Lv 6 Monk

Melethiel

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 04:12:19 am »
Max and I are seriously thinking about it, but it's not 100% yet. If we do go, we'll be flying too :)
Melethiel Umbriel - Elf Rogue
Barbie kluH - Human Barbarian
Lucifera - .5 Elf Sorceress
Drachenheil Brav - .5 Orc Fighter CORE
Valianta Resoluta - Human Paladin
Morellaina Fluxx - Naiad Bard
Lupus-TAU1101101 - Android Op
Shiva Grievous - Kasatha Soldier
Chkhikvi von Chkhorot's'kh'u - Shirren Techmcr