Author Topic: Starfinder Society News!!!!!!  (Read 288 times)

Argus

• Pathfinder
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Ooodles of Noodles!!! They Yummy.
    • View Profile
    • PFS: Mystical Star
Starfinder Society News!!!!!!
« on: March 08, 2017, 09:25:43 PM »
Starfinder Society, Paizo's Newest Organized Play Program
Wednesday, March 8, 2017

http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5ljle?Starfinder-Society-Paizos-Newest-Organized

Immediately after the announcement of the Starfinder Roleplaying Game last PaizoCon, our community started speculating about an organized play program to support the new game. We spent the ensuing months looking at workflow and charting out a course that would enable us to have both Starfinder and Pathfinder organized play programs. It delights me to end speculation and announce the launch of Starfinder Society at Gen Con 50!

Introducing the Starfinder Society logo, designed by the talented Sarah Robinson!

Before the questions flood in, I want to note that we are still in the active planning phase, and may not have answers to everything yet. Over the next few months, the team will release more information via blog, podcast, and forum posts. If you have questions, please put yours in the comments section, and we will work to get them answered.

Who is working on Starfinder Society?
The structure is very similar to the Pathfinder Society Roleplaying Guild. Tonya Woldridge will oversee the program, with John Compton taking on the role of lead developer of both the Pathfinder and Starfinder organized play campaigns. Developer Linda Zayas-Palmer will continue to focus on Pathfinder Society. We've added Thurston Hillman to the team as the dedicated developer for Starfinder Society. Thurston has been a part of Pathfinder Society since Season 1, when he authored Pathfinder Society Scenario #55:The Infernal Vault. Since then, he's both contributed many scenarios (and special events) to the Pathfinder Society as well as writing regularly for various other Pathfinder RPG lines. Thurston brings his depth of experience to the team, along with a bit of zany humor.

Is it going to be called "Starfinder Society?"
The official name is Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild, or SFSRPG for short. The Starfinder game takes place in the distant future of the Pathfinder world, and while much has changed (or been forgotten), the Starfinder Society traces its mysterious history back to the Pathfinder Society of present day. The campaign's official name reflects this connection.

Are you making two separate organized play programs?
Yes. Although many similarities exist in structure and format, including a shared volunteer team, they are two separate campaigns with different rules, documentation, and characters.

Do I get to keep my same Pathfinder Society number?
Yes. What was your Pathfinder Society number will now be your number for all three of the Paizo-operated organized play programs: Pathfinder Society Roleplaying Guild, Pathfinder Society Adventure Card Guild, and Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild. Starfinder character numbers will have a unique starting number, most likely 700, making your first Starfinder character XXX-701. The number 700 works really well for this, not only because it leaves space for plenty of Pathfinder Society roleplaying characters, but also because the PZO number (the number we assign to each of our products) begins with 7. Who knows, this bit of trivia may make it in to the PaizoCon quiz.

How much is staying the same from Pathfinder Society Roleplaying Guild?
We still have quests and scenarios with Chronicle sheets. Adventures will be broken into tiers, grant XP, and provide other rewards. Three experience points (XP) grant a level. There are fairly cooperative factions within the Starfinder Society, based on their worldview and goals. We will reveal more information about the campaign as we get closer to its launch in August 2017.

Illustration by Sebastien Hue

If all that is the same, what is different?
Starship combat!

On a more serious note, we made a couple major changes for Starfinder Society. The first is the tier system. We are closing the gap between subtiers that resulted in so much confusion and consternation with calculating average party level (APL). Starfinder scenarios will include the following tiers: Tier 1-2, Tier 1-4, Tier 3-6, Tier 5-8, Tier 7-10, and Tier 9-12—perhaps more as higher-level play grows in popularity.

The second most noticeable change is that characters have a means of belonging to more than one faction at a time. Unlike the current Pathfinder Society faction rules, Starfinder Society characters will be able to gain favor with multiple groups, choosing which they want to champion on a scenario-by-scenario basis. But just like multiclassing, focusing on several groups won't see the same benefits as focusing on a primary faction. These changes to the faction system tie in with another issue that we are addressing: the handling of boons. One of our goals is developing a way to make the boons on Chronicles more relevant, and not just a stack of paper player's stick in the back of their folder. We'll reveal more about these changes in... the future (see what I did there?)

What is the release schedule?
The Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild launches with 3 scenarios, 1 pre-generated character special, and 1 quest pack at Gen Con. From there, we will publish one scenario a month. Moving to a slower release schedule allows us to spin up the program and settle into the groove of running three organized play programs. During this time, we will solicit feedback and assess the rate of publication for 2018 and beyond.

When can I start playing Starfinder Society?
The fun begins Thursday, August 17th, at 8:00 AM Pacific time in the Sagamore Ballroom at Gen Con. After Thursday morning, anyone, anytime, anywhere, may schedule Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild events.

Next week sees John holding down the fort while I travel to the GAMA Trade Show in Las Vegas to chat with retailers about our organized play programs. The following Wednesday, March 22, at 7 pm PDT, John, Thurston, and I join the Know Direction crew for a Question and Answer session about all things organized play related. If you have topics you wish us to cover, feel free to drop me an email at tonya.woldridge@paizo.com and we will fit as many answers on the show as possible.

Check out the blog next Monday for more exciting organized play news!

Until next time—Explore, Report, Cooperate!

Tonya Woldridge
Organized Play Coordinator
Argus-Human-Lv 12 Kensai
Sitra-Elf-Lv 7 Evoker
Bonk Atonk-Dwarf-Lv 5 Barbarian (Core)
Va'Gule-Dwarf-Lv 6 Armored Archmage
Shrek-1/2 Orc-Lv 6 Monk
Jen Masho-Sylph-Lv 8 Kensai
Eren Yeager-Nagaji-Lv 2 Rageshaper
Ruuji Familon-Wayang-Lv 5 Summoner
Kirrito-Suli- Lv 2 Slayer
Korthone-Dwarf-Lv 1 Warpriest

yergerjo

Re: Starfinder Society News!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 07:37:30 AM »
I hope PFS doesn't suffer because of the split in resources.

I however am hopeful and expect that organized play is what will allow Starfinder to grow and flourish.

Argus

• Pathfinder
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 09:10:31 AM »
I hope PFS doesn't suffer because of the split in resources.

I however am hopeful and expect that organized play is what will allow Starfinder to grow and flourish.

It will be very interesting to see how the system works, and how it molds to organized play.  I am sure the PFS as its self will not suffer from the addition of Starfinder.  I have seen this before with Wizards and the RPGA, and it seemed to work okay with all the living campaigns.  But a guess only time will tell.
Argus-Human-Lv 12 Kensai
Sitra-Elf-Lv 7 Evoker
Shrek-1/2 Orc-Lv 6 Monk

Buscemi

• 4 Star GM
  • Pathfinder
    Attack Member
  • Core Rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 09:36:04 AM »
Games not due out till later next year right?
Karrack Brighthammer- lvl 15 tank
Xukoth-Amon-Mystc Thrg 6(lvl 12)
Clan Buscemi - 1,4,10,11
Half Way Hagan-Gnslngr/Bard 1/6
Groman-Shmn 6
Master Caw-Caw -S.Fst 3k
Festerweazel Skitterboomz-Plg Brngr 7
Duchess Matriyoshka -Witch 6
Nibor-ibn-Eht-ibn-Dooh-ibn-Durka Durka-Archer 4
M'Wangi Jones-Dng Rvr

Argus

• Pathfinder
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 10:17:09 AM »

It launches at GenCon this year which is Aug 2017.  :)
Argus-Human-Lv 12 Kensai
Sitra-Elf-Lv 7 Evoker
Shrek-1/2 Orc-Lv 6 Monk

yergerjo

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 03:08:06 PM »

AP plus 3 SFS Scenarios available at Gencon. Current goal of 1 new scenario a month afterwards.

Argus

• Pathfinder
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 04:51:06 PM »
AP plus 3 SFS Scenarios available at Gencon. Current goal of 1 new scenario a month afterwards.

That is true.
Argus-Human-Lv 12 Kensai
Sitra-Elf-Lv 7 Evoker
Shrek-1/2 Orc-Lv 6 Monk

Argus

• Pathfinder
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 01:18:42 PM »
Well I have been doing some more research into this fantastic system that Paizo has been working on for us all.  I know that I am chomping at the bit in wait to check it out at GenCon.  I am aware that they will be have 3 scenarios released at GenCon, and then slowly release 1 once a month.  I would like to see about bringing these games to Jacksonville to see how they all work out. Then if that works out to see about having a game once a month once the new ones are released.  But only time will tell.  I know that I am ready, and I am sure there are a couple of others that are just as exited to check this system out.
Argus-Human-Lv 12 Kensai
Sitra-Elf-Lv 7 Evoker
Shrek-1/2 Orc-Lv 6 Monk

yergerjo

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 01:58:41 PM »
There are some of us preparing for this coming experience. You are on the list.

Argus

• Pathfinder
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 03:32:33 PM »
There are some of us preparing for this coming experience. You are on the list.

;D 8) :) ;)
Argus-Human-Lv 12 Kensai
Sitra-Elf-Lv 7 Evoker
Shrek-1/2 Orc-Lv 6 Monk

Argus

• Pathfinder
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 11:35:08 AM »
Starfinder Iconic Characters Revealed!
Thursday, April 13, 2017
Last Friday, our friends at Game Informer released a sneak preview of all seven iconic characters for Starfinder. We wanted to share that image with you as well, but first—what do we mean by "iconic character," anyway?

As many of you probably already know, in the Starfinder Roleplaying Game, as in Pathfinder, every class is represented by an iconic character: a single individual who illustrates and embodies the concept behind that class. Originally, way back when Paizo was still publishing the magazines Dungeon and Dragon, this was just a convenient shorthand for us—rather than explaining to each new artist what made a ranger a ranger, we could just show them a single piece of art and say, "Draw this ranger." But to our surprise, as these reference characters appeared in more and more illustrations, fans began to grow attached to them and wonder about their stories. So when we launched Pathfinder, we went ahead and gave these characters names and backstories, and they quickly became some of our most popular characters, going on to star in comics, audio dramas, and more. (I know that I personally have a heck of a lot of fun writing Valeros, Merisiel, and all the rest in the Pathfinder comics!)

Character Illustrations by Remko Troost
Now, with Starfinder, we're excited to unveil a whole new lineup of iconic characters to showcase their respective classes and races! In the coming months, we'll be giving you each character's backstory in blog posts here at paizo.com, but for now here's a sneak preview of their art, plus their names, races, and classes. Going clockwise and starting with the leftmost character, we've got:

Raia (lashunta technomancer): Lashuntas are a race of telepaths, and technomancers are the magical version of computer programmers, hacking the laws of physics.

Iseph (android operative): Androids are artificial people, and operatives use stealth and skill to get in and out of dangerous situations.

Obozaya (vesk soldier): Vesk are powerful reptilian aliens, and soldiers specialize in heavy weapons and armor.

Keskodai (shirren mystic): Shirrens are insectile people who recently broke free from a predatory hive mind, and mystics channel the universe's mysterious energies, often through faith in a god.

Altronus (kasatha solarian): Kasathas are four-armed aliens from a desert world, and solarians shape the energy of stars and black holes into armor and weapons for themselves.

Navasi (human envoy): Humans are... well, humans, and envoys use wit and charm to bolster their allies and demoralize or befuddle enemies.

Quig (ysoki mechanic): Often called "ratfolk," ysoki are a plucky and hotheaded race, and mechanics build their own custom drones or rely on an implanted AI to aid them in combat.

Which of course leads to the question—which of these is your favorite? Let us know in the comments below, and stay tuned for more Starfinder previews and design blogs!

James L. Sutter
Creative Director
Argus-Human-Lv 12 Kensai
Sitra-Elf-Lv 7 Evoker
Shrek-1/2 Orc-Lv 6 Monk

Argus

• Pathfinder
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 05:36:10 PM »
Starship Combat—I Am a Leaf on the Wind
Wednesday, April 19, 2017
http://paizo.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Store.woa/wa/browse?path=&tab=paizo

Illustrations by David Melvin

From androids manipulating reality with technomagic to goblins in spacesuits wielding barely functioning laser pistols, the Starfinder RPG covers the majority of weird and exciting science-fantasy tropes. But it would be a poor game that takes place among the stars if it didn't have starships! Luckily, Starfinder gives you all you need to play the crew of an intrepid vessel exploring the galaxy—and getting into trouble along the way.

The universe is not always a friendly place and there are forces out there, from freebooting space pirates to a whole fleet of undead soldiers, who either want to incapacitate your starship and take your stuff or just blow you out of the void. And of course, you're not going to roll over and let that happen! That's where Starfinder's robust starship combat system comes into play.

While it has some similarities to character-versus-monster combat, starship combat boasts a number of unique and interesting features. It would be impossible to explore every detail in one blog (you'll just have to buy the book to find out more!), but we'd like to give you a taste of what you can expect come August.

When your characters first board their starship, each player chooses one of five roles for his or her character: captain, engineer, gunner, pilot, or science officer. Only one character each can be the captain and the pilot, but depending on the configuration of your vessel, you may want multiple engineers or gunners. Each role gives the character assuming it a number of actions she can perform during the battle. The captain can give encouraging speeches or make demands of the rest of the crew, granting valuable bonuses. A science officer can scan enemy ships and target specific systems on those vessels. An engineer can boost power to the engines or repair a malfunctioning weapon. A gunner fires the ship's weapons at the enemy, taking precise shots or unleashing a volley of lasers.

All that is exciting and vital to the success of the fight, but as Iseph would be quick to remind you, you'd still be a sitting duck without the impressive things the pilot can do!

The pilot has the important job of moving the PCs' starship across the hex-grid map that starship combat uses, ensuring that gunners can shoot the ship's biggest weapons at the most dangerous enemies while hopefully making sure that those foes don't have the opportunity to shoot back. Getting the positioning and facing of the ship right is crucial, as is knowing what the ship is capable of doing and then pushing it beyond its limits.

To that end, pilots have access to a whole suite of stunts—daring maneuvers that only the skilled can hope to pull off. Of course, if the situation doesn't call for any of these fancy tactics, the pilot can always fly normally or step on the gas for an extra burst of speed. The basic pilot stunts are:

Back Off: The pilot throws the ship into reverse, moving backward a few hexes.

Barrel Roll: By spinning the ship on its axis, the pilot allows the ships's port guns and shields to function on the starboard side and vice versa for 1 round. Hope your artificial gravity is turned on!

Evade: This stunt encompasses the standard dodging maneuvers, making the ship harder to hit for 1 round. But it doesn't shake those pesky target lock-ons!

Flip and Burn: The pilot moves the vessel forward a bit and turns it 180 degrees, surprising enemies who might have been in its wake.

Flyby: A dangerous stunt, this takes your ship very close to an enemy vessel (through its hex), which lets a gunner fire any of his ship's weapons at any shield arc of the foe, regardless of where the two ships end their movement. Executing this stunt poorly allows the enemy vessel to get a free shot on you!

Slide: The pilot moves the ship at an angle without changing the way it is facing, like a racecar drifting. This stunt is very useful for ships that aren't very maneuverable.

Turn in Place: Firing up maneuvering thrusters, the pilot alters the direction the ship is facing without moving it from its hex, possibly allowing a specific weapon to make an all-important shot.

Especially talented pilots can also attempt an "audacious gambit," flying the ship in ways never intended by those who built it. But you'd have to be crazy to try something like that!

Since a pilot is nothing without a ship to helm, the Starfinder Core Rulebook also presents both rules for customizing your own starship and a handful of prebuilt starships ready for PCs to use or fight. Shown here are just two examples.

The Drone Mk III is a smaller ship fabricated by shirren manufacturer Starhive. As befits their name, Drones are extremely common and used as freighters, personnel transports, light colonial defense vessels, and more. Despite the ships' mass production, Starhive takes a natural shirren pride in making sure each ship's iridescent paint job is unique.

Built by the vesk munitions company Vindicas, the Tyrant is a dreadnought feared across multiple star systems. Huge weapon batteries tear through even the most formidable capital ships, while its hangars unleash squadrons of fighters to mop up foes too insignificant to be worth the Tyrant's direct attention.

Starhive Drone Mk III and Vindicas Tyrant
Illustrations by Ben Wootten
Finally, if you want to see the starship combat system in action, check out the video of when I ran a brief demo for the folks at Game Trade Media. Benjamin Loomes of Syrinscape also sat in to provide excellent sound effects and atmospheric music! Content warning: This video features amateur rapping.

Thanks for reading and keep watching this space for more Starfinder previews in the months to come!

Jason Keeley
Starfinder Design Team
Argus-Human-Lv 12 Kensai
Sitra-Elf-Lv 7 Evoker
Shrek-1/2 Orc-Lv 6 Monk