Author Topic: You can determine a spell on a trap W/detect magic only to find out it's school?  (Read 951 times)

Artaxerxees

• Pathfinder
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • First God created Idiots, then there's DnD 4E!
    • View Profile
 In reading in the knowledge skills for knowledge arcana,  I recently heard when you see you spell W/detect magic you can determine only it's school. Like me, most people get the idea using detect magic in finding a spell in any condition, whether it has gone off or not,  the spell can be determined  with knowledge arcana.

Just making sure I now have this right, only when the spell has gone off (then seeing it's effect) I can use knowledge arcana to figure the spell, or am I wrong about this.

By asking questions I learn,  please forgive me if I sound too ignorant.
Evelyn Bigglesworth 1/2 Elf Duelist 12, Galant 1/2 Elf Magus 9, Rocky Graniteslinger Dwarvin Cleric 6, Venox Phalanx Fighter 3, Mayhem Alchemist 3, Preacher Galliant Paladin 2, Foodstuff Bard Prankster 1, Smog Fire Elementalist 1

lab_rat

Spot on correct

Detect magic gives you an aura and a strength of that aura. The strength correlates to a spell level and with a knowledge arcana check you can determine the school of magic associated with the 

Once you see the effect. Then you can use knowledge arcana to determine the exact spell.

So you could identify a trap as having a feint aura of evocation (detect magic plus 3 rounds of study plus a knowledge arcana DC 18 check) and after the rogue flubs the disable trap check further identify the effect (knowledge arcana DC 23 check) as a fireball.

Gritte

• Pathfinder
    Attack Member
  • Care to pay me for my day job?
    • View Profile
Just remember that Detect Magic requires you to concentrate on finding the magic. The 1st round detects the presence or absence of magical auras. The 2nd round detects the number of magical auras and which is strongest. The 3rd round detects the strength and location of each aura and allows you to detect the school. So, in order to detect the school type it'd take 3 rounds or 18 seconds to do so at a range of a 60 ft. cone.
Gritte Surrealu: Sorcerer- 12 "Courtesan of the Inner Sea"
Quiro Syren: Spell Warrior- 8 "Spoiler of Failed Saves"
Zuzu Peddelz: Cleric of Zon Kuthon- 7
Tison Mychael: Mutagenic Mauler- 2
Culver Kopp: Fighter- 1 CORE
Ashe Hoole: "Please stop pronouncing my name wrong"

Artaxerxees

• Pathfinder
    Attack Member
  • First God created Idiots, then there's DnD 4E!
    • View Profile
I appreciate the help guys. My next Q on detect magic will be about what you see through wood, stone & metal. I have never found any amount of lead in a door in any mod the past 15 years that I can remember.
Evelyn Bigglesworth 1/2 Elf Duelist 12, Galant 1/2 Elf Magus 9, Rocky Graniteslinger Dwarvin Cleric 6, Venox Phalanx Fighter 3, Mayhem Alchemist 3, Preacher Galliant Paladin 2, Foodstuff Bard Prankster 1, Smog Fire Elementalist 1

Herozeal

A good choice to find information quickly