• Pathfinder
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • "I get a cookie!"
    • View Profile
D20Pro
« on: August 30, 2012, 07:50:17 PM »
Okay, so, I only really have experience working with this from the player side... (Kristie, if you want to chime in, your feedback would be greatly appreciated) but here's my mini-review of D20Pro...

First off, there's no capacity as a player to create and/or tweak your own character in game.  If you have a GM license ($30), you can edit all day long and export it just the way it needs to be.  Alternately, you can export a player from Hero Lab that the DM can import... but as a player, you'd get no chance to tweak it, or set up your attacks the way you'd like.  And I will say, I wasn't entirely happy with the way my character showed up from a straight import.  (It didn't handle the bonuses and everything quite right, even if the end result was right)

From a technical standpoint... You need to know how to overcome your local firewall, whether that means poking a hole through a port or using a VPN, as we did.

In-game, it does some neat little things... As a player, you can hotkey skills and do standard attacks... And all attacks get a neat GM prompt so the GM can fudge the dice and/or take different things into consideration before finalizing the results.

For Pathfinder, specifically, you have to set up "Custom Defense" in order to get CMD working properly.

I don't remember if we did anything with fog of war, but there definitely were handouts... they were sent to us as Word docs, though I'm sure just about any document type will do.

As for licensing, I already mentioned that the GM license is $30, that gets you 2 guest slots to your game... extra guest slots can be purchased for $10 each, or a player license can be bought for $10... So, essentially, it's $10 per seat, which isn't terrible.

All in all, it's a decent bit of software, the licensing isn't horrible, but I don't know if I'd be willing to shell out the money on it given all the other current and soon-to-be-available options.
Valerod: 2 Ranger/2 Rogue (Andoran)
Rhudry: 2 Cavalier (Silver Crusade)
Aenerivel: 1 Cleric (Shadow Lodge)

kschweyer

• Pathfinder
    Attack Member
  • Roll for Initiative!
    • View Profile
Re: D20Pro
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 10:01:56 PM »
Ok, my 2cp.

This system is very gm-intensive. The gm approves every roll, and confirms every crit. I like the power, but as a gm lots is already going on.

There are several tools we didnt use. A nifty area of effect tool, which makes me wish I had fireballed y'all and a fog of war tool that didnt look all that complicated, but was just more than I could manage for the maiden voyage.

For any VTT, the experience will improve with gm familiarity. Not just using the tool, but using it to get the effect you want.

I can upload damn near anything to use as a game aid or map, but getting the game grid to align with a pre-printed grid is a little fiddly and cannot be done on the fly.

You can use the system agnostically - just load maps, pick player tokens and roll dice. It does have PF rulesset support that is good, but quirky, as keronian mentioned. I suspect there are lots of workrounds and enhancements that we could take advantage of with some research and prep.

For me as a gm, some kind of voice support is indespensible. It eases communication and allows for more 'no pants' jokes. I would love a way to dj sound while running a game. More hassle, but totally worth it.

My assessment is that this is a solid tool, but one that requires some commitment, esp on the part of the gm to get the license and make the most of the features available.

I would like to run using this tool again, but dont know when that will be. It will happen though, for those that are interested in giving it (another) go.
Ayalah - Lvl 12 Andoran Polearm Barbarian
Kaylara Guildsmith - Lvl 6 Chelaxian Attorney at Law
Min Tei - Lvl 5 Student of the Martial arts
Scheherezade - Lvl 2 Osirian Entertainer Extraordinaire!
Baroness Ivelisse Draisroth - Lvl 6 Taldan Occultist

Darksyntax

• Website IT
  • Pathfinder
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
    • Fernando J Fernandez
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 09:08:54 AM »
Ok, my 2cp.

This system is very gm-intensive. The gm approves every roll, and confirms every crit. I like the power, but as a gm lots is already going on.

There are several tools we didnt use. A nifty area of effect tool, which makes me wish I had fireballed y'all and a fog of war tool that didnt look all that complicated, but was just more than I could manage for the maiden voyage.

For any VTT, the experience will improve with gm familiarity. Not just using the tool, but using it to get the effect you want.

I can upload damn near anything to use as a game aid or map, but getting the game grid to align with a pre-printed grid is a little fiddly and cannot be done on the fly.

You can use the system agnostically - just load maps, pick player tokens and roll dice. It does have PF rulesset support that is good, but quirky, as keronian mentioned. I suspect there are lots of workrounds and enhancements that we could take advantage of with some research and prep.

For me as a gm, some kind of voice support is indespensible. It eases communication and allows for more 'no pants' jokes. I would love a way to dj sound while running a game. More hassle, but totally worth it.

My assessment is that this is a solid tool, but one that requires some commitment, esp on the part of the gm to get the license and make the most of the features available.

I would like to run using this tool again, but dont know when that will be. It will happen though, for those that are interested in giving it (another) go.

That was something epic table did,  you could adjust the grid on the fly.

Whiskey Jack

• 2 Star GM
  • Pathfinder
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 09:18:52 AM »
It eases communication and allows for more 'no pants' jokes.
Please bring said jokes to Hurricon. :-)

MattCaulder

• Venture-Officer
  • Pathfinder
    Attack Member
  • Double VL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 10:26:57 AM »
I'm thinking about using this to run a PF game. Anyone have any tips/tricks that might help this go smoother?
Aketh the Immortal: Lvl 10 Lissalan Vampire
Thorton: LVL 12 Bladebonded Half-Elf Magus
Fitch: LVL 11 Tiefling Preservationist of Cheliax
Hogan: LVL9 Half-Orc Monk
Krock Fasthands: Lvl 5 Gunhunter of Alkenstar
Thorag Dogspeaker: Lvl 3 Cavalier Huntsmen

Andy

• 4 Star GM
  • Pathfinder
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 11:34:45 AM »
Don't use the in-game character stuff, have a means for vocal communication, and have everyone email you a copy of their character(this is just to help eliminate cheating).

Use it as a game table to show maps, represent character/monster location, and use the in-game die roller so you can see everyone's rolls. This will speed up the process 10 fold. And you wont have to deal with weather or not people sent you a file containing the proper info for their character.

I didn't mess with uploading maps to it, so I don't have much info regarding that, but Kristie said it took some finagling to get the grid to line up.

D20pro needs you to upload/build each player character and even using Herolab's export function, it was missing quite a bit of info. Like Initiative modifier... You would still need to go in an set every single spell function manually, every spell-like ability, and supernatural ability. Any thing that gave you a bonus to an attack of any kind would need to be added as a separate "attack" in each characters profile. Its a pita.

Just have everyone sit down with a hard copy of their character, just like you would in person, and use the VTT as your play space and a die roller.
Games I havn't played or run:
S0: 4,22,23
S1: 34,43
S2: 26
S3: SP
S4: 11,20
S5: 18,20,21,22,23,24,25

MattCaulder

• Venture-Officer
  • Pathfinder
    Attack Member
  • Double VL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 12:01:01 PM »
Don't use the in-game character stuff, have a means for vocal communication, and have everyone email you a copy of their character(this is just to help eliminate cheating).

Use it as a game table to show maps, represent character/monster location, and use the in-game die roller so you can see everyone's rolls. This will speed up the process 10 fold. And you wont have to deal with weather or not people sent you a file containing the proper info for their character.

I didn't mess with uploading maps to it, so I don't have much info regarding that, but Kristie said it took some finagling to get the grid to line up.

D20pro needs you to upload/build each player character and even using Herolab's export function, it was missing quite a bit of info. Like Initiative modifier... You would still need to go in an set every single spell function manually, every spell-like ability, and supernatural ability. Any thing that gave you a bonus to an attack of any kind would need to be added as a separate "attack" in each characters profile. Its a pita.

Just have everyone sit down with a hard copy of their character, just like you would in person, and use the VTT as your play space and a die roller.

Hmm. Hearing this makes me want to use Roll20 instead of d20Pro.

Andy

• 4 Star GM
  • Pathfinder
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 12:18:50 PM »
Meh. I think that we expect too much from a VTT tbh. I don't know why we need anything more than a play space, die rolling tool and a map editor. It's not like we have electronic maps that apply the rules for us in person.
Games I havn't played or run:
S0: 4,22,23
S1: 34,43
S2: 26
S3: SP
S4: 11,20
S5: 18,20,21,22,23,24,25

kschweyer

• Pathfinder
    Attack Member
  • Roll for Initiative!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 03:44:52 PM »
Meh. I think that we expect too much from a VTT tbh. I don't know why we need anything more than a play space, die rolling tool and a map editor. It's not like we have electronic maps that apply the rules for us in person.

Agree.  we have to do the math when we play in real life and depending on the computer program creates more opportunities for sad.  The nice thing about D20 Pro is you CAN just use it for maps and moving minis and sharing pics.  Loading the PF info just increases the DC.
Ayalah - Lvl 12 Andoran Polearm Barbarian
Kaylara Guildsmith - Lvl 6 Chelaxian Attorney at Law
Min Tei - Lvl 5 Student of the Martial arts
Scheherezade - Lvl 2 Osirian Entertainer Extraordinaire!
Baroness Ivelisse Draisroth - Lvl 6 Taldan Occultist

MattCaulder

• Venture-Officer
  • Pathfinder
    Attack Member
  • Double VL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 04:20:54 PM »
Agree.  we have to do the math when we play in real life and depending on the computer program creates more opportunities for sad.  The nice thing about D20 Pro is you CAN just use it for maps and moving minis and sharing pics.  Loading the PF info just increases the DC.

That's a good point. Eh, I'll probably just use Roll20. It's free and seems to be way simpler to set up than d20Pro.

smurphy

• 5 Star GM
  • Pathfinder
    Attack Member
  • “Explore, report, cooperate.”
    • View Profile
    • ORC - Orlando Roleplaying Cooperative
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 04:01:03 PM »
*casts Raise Dead Thread*

If anyone wants more advice or input on d20Pro, the company is run by my High Schools buddies.  I can shoot queries and ideas and suggestions for improvements their way.
Shane
VC -Orlando & the Space Coast